20120619

My Surface Dreams

I think that the newly-announced Microsoft Surface could be the beginning of a dream I've long had. It'll be a beefy portable device on which I can connect all my disparate media sources. I can stream iTunes Match over it while reading my latest Nook purchase. It has a keyboard, which means I can write or blog on it without wearing out my thumbs. I can control my XBox from it.

By bringing the only ecosystem that's richer than iOS, Windows, to a tablet platform, Microsoft has the ability to deliver a truly all-in-one tablet experience, and as long as the battery life is there, I'm in love.

I'm getting the Surface Pro 128GB model the day it's out. It's the first time in a while I've looked at a device and said, 'I MUST HAVE ONE.'

I'm also blogging from my newest Windows 8 install. I finally deployed it to my big-ass mega-laptop. It's nicknamed 'Deathstar' or 'Mobile Command,' depending on my mood. It's a beast of a laptop, by 2009 standards, but it'll still run any new PC game as long as you don't need anti-aliasing. 4GB RAM + 1GB nVidia card + dual-core 2.53GHz proc are pretty good specs for a modern laptop.

I'm enjoying it. Different way of thinking about interface, but it's super-flexible, fun to use, and seems pretty efficient with resources. I'll have more to say on it next week.

In any case, I'm stoked. How about you?

-Blaine
Buy my book!

No comments:

Post a Comment